SnowStash
ForecastsCompareNews
SnowStash Logo

Live snow, webcams and expert resort guides for the world's mountains - plan your next day on snow.

hello@snowstash.com
Download on the App Store

Destinations

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Europe
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • United States

Company

  • About Us
  • Work With Us
  • Privacy Policy

Explore

  • Compare Resorts
  • News & Updates
  • Snow Forecast
  • Mobile App

© 2026 SnowStash. All rights reserved.

    1. Home
    2. /
    3. News
    EuropeSwitzerland

    Two Confirmed Dead as Search Continues After Swiss Alps Fire

    Michael FultonMichael Fulton·22 Aug 2026

    TL;DR

    The death toll from Thursday night's fire at Restaurant Beverin in Thusis, Switzerland, has begun to firm up. One Swiss outlet, citing Graubünden Cantonal Police, reports that two of the five people initially reported missing have now been confirmed dead, leaving three unaccounted for. The building's collapsed stairwell and structural instability have slowed recovery efforts throughout. Here's what's changed since the fire broke out, and what's still unconfirmed.

    Level Up Your Ski Day — Download SnowStash on the App Store

    Two of the five people reported missing after a fire destroyed a restaurant and apartment building in Thusis, Switzerland, have now been confirmed dead, according to one Swiss outlet citing the Graubünden Cantonal Police.

    The fire tore through the building housing Restaurant Beverin overnight Thursday into Friday, in the Swiss canton of Graubünden. Fourteen people escaped; eight were injured, two of them seriously. The update on fatalities leaves three residents still unaccounted for, down from the five reported missing in the hours immediately after the blaze.

    The fire raging in the upper sections of the restaurant and apartment building.
    The fire raging in the upper sections of the restaurant and apartment building.

    What's confirmed, and what isn't yet

    The two deaths were reported by watson.ch, attributed directly to the cantonal police, shortly after the initial missing-persons figure was released. As of writing, that report hadn't been independently corroborated by other Swiss outlets covering the story, though it's the kind of detail that typically firms up quickly once a police source is on record. Police have not released names, ages or nationalities of any of the missing or deceased. A nephew of one missing man, speaking to 20 Minuten, said his 57-year-old uncle called him as the fire broke out and that he'd tried to reach him inside the building before smoke and flames stopped him on the first floor. Separately, residents told Swiss media that one of the missing is a young Portuguese woman who worked as a cleaner at the restaurant.

    Why the search has been so slow

    The building's stairwell collapsed during the fire, and crews have had to open the roof with a crane and dismantle the structure layer by layer from the top down to keep searching safely. Police have said the building remains at risk of further collapse, which limits how much of it investigators can enter at any one time and slows both the search for the missing and the fire investigation itself. No cause has been confirmed. The Graubünden Cantonal Police are working with the local prosecutor's office, and as of the most recent updates, no findings on how the fire started had been released.

    Firefighters working overnight to try tackle the blaze.
    Firefighters working overnight to try tackle the blaze.

    Who lived there, and how the town has responded

    Several outlets report that the building's upper floors, once hotel rooms, had been converted into small studio apartments rented mainly to individuals, including guest workers in the area. A four-person Careteam Grischun unit has been supporting affected residents, families and emergency responders, and the municipality of Thusis has arranged shelter and food for those displaced. Thusis's village festival, due to run this weekend, has been cancelled - residents told 20 Minuten it didn't feel right to hold it while five, now three, of their neighbours remain unaccounted for.

    Context: not the building's first brush with fire

    Austrian outlet Fireworld.at notes that the same building was near a serious fire in July 2016, when a neighbouring house and an old joinery burned down completely. Restaurant Beverin escaped that blaze with only smoke and water damage, according to that report - a detail with no bearing on this week's fire but relevant background given the building's history.

    Thusis is a town of roughly 3,300 people in the Domleschg/Heinzenberg region of Graubünden, near the entrance to the Viamala gorge on the route toward the Alpine passes of San Bernardino and Julier. The nearby Heinzenberg ski area, also known as Tschappina-Urmein, was not affected by the fire.

    About the author

    Michael Fulton

    Michael Fulton

    Melbourne-based skier and snowboarder with 50+ resorts across 5 continents. Specialises in Australian resorts and international resort comparisons.

    50+ resorts visited15 years skiing

    Keep reading

    More from the SnowStash desk

    View all news →
    Selwyn Snow Resort Closes Early as Rain Ends Its 2026 Season

    Selwyn Snow Resort Closes Early as Rain Ends Its 2026 Season

    Selwyn Snow Resort has called an early end to its 2026 season, a day after Victoria's Mount Baw Baw did the same. Rain on Thursday stripped what was left of the snowpack, and the cold nights needed to rebuild it through snowmaking never arrived. It's a rough result for a resort that only just found its footing again after being burned to the ground in the 2019-20 Black Summer bushfires and a multi-year rebuild. Here's how the season fell apart, and where Selwyn's been since the fire.

    22 Aug 2026
    Mt Baw Baw Becomes First Australian Resort to Close for 2026

    Mt Baw Baw Becomes First Australian Resort to Close for 2026

    Mt Baw Baw is calling time on its 2026 season this Sunday at 5pm, becoming the first Australian resort to close for the year after warm spells and rain wore through its snowpack. Lifts stop, but the resort stays open, entry fees get waived, and there's one last Bollywood Weekend before the lights go out. Fifty-seven days after opening, here's how the season ended and what it means for the rest of Australia's struggling snowpack.

    21 Aug 2026
    Arosa to Replace 40-Year-Old Hörnli Lifts With New Gondola and Chair

    Arosa to Replace 40-Year-Old Hörnli Lifts With New Gondola and Chair

    Arosa's Hörnli sector is getting its biggest overhaul in decades. The 1986 gondola and 1994 chairlift linking toward Lenzerheide are both being replaced, with capacity up, tower count down and a new base station lower on the hill. At roughly CHF 67 million, it is the largest single investment Arosa Bergbahnen has ever made - and the target opening has already slipped a year, to December 2028. Here is what is changing, and why the timeline moved.

    20 Aug 2026
    Sundance Mountain Resort Is Getting a New High-Speed Quad and More Back Mountain Terrain This Winter

    Sundance Mountain Resort Is Getting a New High-Speed Quad and More Back Mountain Terrain This Winter

    Sundance Mountain Resort's back mountain is finally getting a proper lift. The Electric Horseman Express opens for 2026-27, unlocking a new bowl next to Bishop's Bowl and three expert gladed chutes across roughly 105 fresh acres - on top of the Storyteller ridge run that debuted in preview form last season. It's Sundance's biggest expansion since 1985, and it turns a three-lift slog into a single six-minute ride to Bearclaw Summit.

    19 Aug 2026
    Levi and Ruka Confirm October 2 Opening on Farmed Summer Snow

    Levi and Ruka Confirm October 2 Opening on Farmed Summer Snow

    Finland's Levi and Ruka open for the 2026-27 season on October 2, more than seven weeks before most of Europe sees a lift turn. Neither resort is waiting on autumn snowfall - both are skiing on snow buried since last spring, insulated through the Finnish summer and dug back out for opening day. It is not a shortcut. It is a decades-old system now spreading from the Arctic Circle to Idaho, Utah, Vermont and Colorado. Here is how snow farming actually works, and why it is catching on.

    19 Aug 2026
    Sölden's Old Einzeiger Chairlift Gets a Second Life in Montafon

    Sölden's Old Einzeiger Chairlift Gets a Second Life in Montafon

    Silvretta Montafon is replacing its ageing Freda chairlift - but not with something new. The resort is having a 1999 four-seater chairlift, retired from Sölden, dismantled, shipped to Vorarlberg and rebuilt with new electronics, cable and clamps. It has to be running before March 2027, when Silvretta Montafon hosts the FIS Snowboard, Freestyle and Freeski World Championships - the biggest winter sports event Vorarlberg has staged. Here's how a reused lift ends up cheaper.

    18 Aug 2026
    Nassfeld Invests €13 Million in New 6-Seater Chairlift for 2026/27 Season

    Nassfeld Invests €13 Million in New 6-Seater Chairlift for 2026/27 Season

    Nassfeld is putting €13 million into a new 6-seater chairlift, the Tressdorfer Almbahn, connecting Sonnleitn with the Tressdorfer Alm from December 2026. It replaces three ageing drag lifts and will run through summer too, from June 2027, moving up to 2,500 people an hour on the roughly three-minute ride. It's the latest step in Carinthia's largest ski resort building out a genuine year-round offering, following last year's Gartnerkofelbahn gondola.

    17 Aug 2026